Rhubarb and Strawberry Trifle
- 6 cups low (2%) milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 14 cups cubed angel food cake or lady fingers
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 cups stewed rhubarb
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Toasted whole almonds (optional)
- Whole strawberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around edge.
- Meanwhile in seperate heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, srtirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; let cool.
- (Custard can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to one day).
- Whip cream and whisk one quarter into custard.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spread half of the cake or lady fingers in a 28 cup glass bowl.
- Spread half of the rhubarb over cake, than half of the strawberries.
- Spread half of the custard over top.
- Repeat the process.
- Chill for 6 hours.
- Garnish with whole strawberries and almonds.