- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbls. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk and cream, mixed
- 4 well-beaten egg yolks
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Gradually stir in milk and cream.
- Cook covered *** over--not in--boiling water 8 minutes without stirring. Uncover and cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Add egg yolks and butter
- Continue to cook and stir these ingredients 2 minutes longer.
- Cool, stirring occasionally to release steam, then add vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Chill the custard. It will have the consistency of a heavy whipped cream.
This is a great recipe from old edition of The Joy of Cooking. I can't find it in my newer edition but it's go great that I had to pass it on. I used it when making a trifle. It's a bit runny so it wouldn't hold up in a tart but it is just delicious in a trifle or over pound or angel food cake.