Rich Mocha Tofu Mousse
- Servings: 6-8
- 2 (12.3-ounce) packages extra firm silken tofu (shelf-stable Mori-Nu brand)
- 4 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate or SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate
- 1/2 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso or coffee powder
- 3/4 cup good-quality maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- (Note: for a more chocolaty flavor, use the SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate.)
- Drain the tofu in a colander for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the chocolate into small pieces. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Place the tofu in a food processor or blender. Puree until creamy, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Fold in the cocoa and espresso powder. Puree until well blended, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the syrup, vanilla, melted chocolate and optional liqueur. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to individual dishes or to a large bowl. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Here are several ways to dress up the mousse:
- Serve the mousse in individual goblets. Garnish with chocolate shavings, SCHARFFEN BERGER Roasted Cacao Nibs, and/or a crisp cookie or biscotti.
- Individual Mocha Tofu Mousse Cakes: Layer the mousse with chocolate- or vanilla-flavored pizzelle (3 to 5 layers per serving), ending with a layer of mousse on top. Garnish with chocolate shavings, a dusting of cocoa powder, or confectioners’ sugar. Chill for several hours. To serve, spread a small amount of mousse on the center of each plate and place a mousse cake over it (this keeps the dessert from sliding around on the plate).