- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 c. 1% milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 4 c. mixed berries
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- about 1 TBSP canola oil
- 1-2 TBSP confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Farenheit.
- 2. Place the ricotta in a large bowl. Add the milk, egg yolks, and granulates sugar and whisk to combine. Add the flour, lemon zest, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Fold until blended.
- 3. In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar and, using a whisk or handheld mixer on medium speed, beat until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold the whites into the ricotta mixture until just blended.
- 4. In medium bowl, combine the berries and lemon juice. Stir gently to blend and set aside.
- 5. Place a large nonstick griddle or frying pan with low sides over medium heat. (Hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle and immediately evaporate.) Brush the surface with a thin layer of canola oil.
- 6. For each pancake, ladle a scant 1/3 c. batter onto the hot surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until small bubbles appear around the edges of the pancakes and the bottoms are lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is slightly browned, 2-3 minutes longer.
- 7. Transfer to an oven-proof platter and place in the oven to keep warm. Do not cover the pancakes or they will get soggy. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 8. Just before serving, dust pancakes with confectioners' sugar. Serve berries on the side. Makes 12 pancakes.