Rio Grande Fritter Cakes by Rachael Ray
- 1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Anaheim or poblano chile pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced (I used a jalapeno pepper)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus vegetable oil for frying
- Combine dry mix with egg, 2 tablespoons oil and milk to make batter then stir in the chile peppers, corn and cheddar.
- Heat a thin layer of vegetable oil in a large skillet and cook 6 small cakes, 3 inches each at a time for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side and 1 to 2 minutes on the second side, until evenly deep golden in color.
- Transfer to a towel lined plate and salt the fritter cakes. Repeat, adding and heating a little additional oil for the second batch.
- (I used a heaping soup spoon of batter and used my finger to remove the batter off the spoon and it made perfect size fritters. They rose so nicely and puffy!)