- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 5+
- Preparation Time: 2
- Olive Oil
- 1c Risotto
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3c HOT chicken stock (or bouillon dissolved in boiling water)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 bag 10-12oz frozen mixed Vegetables, your choice (I used Stir-Fry mix of Snap Peas, Gr Beans, Broc Florets, Mushrooms, Celery, Onion, Red Peppers)
- pat of Butter to finish
- * Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium; add rice and garlic.
- * Saute 2-3min, stirring constantly, til beginning to brown; add 1 CUP of hot stock; stir and cook til absorbed.
- * Add another 1 CUP of broth; repeat process.
- * Add final cup of broth, stirring well and cover & cook, stirring occasionally, til rice is creamy and liquid is absorbed. This process will take approx 20+ min to do correctly- DON'T rush it and dump all liquid in at once- it won't turn out creamy and fluffy.
- * Add frozen vegetables all at once and stir well to blend, LOWER HEAT SLIGHTLY, cover and simmer 6-10min til veggies thaw and are tender-cooked.
- * Turn off heat, stir in butter, recover and let SIT covered while you make your entree, such as POACHED COD.
- * Serve aside your entree- feel free to drizzle some pan juices over rice as well as fish (or whatever meat you decide to make).
So I buy bags of mixed frozen veggies and have different beans and grains around, and then every night between 6-10pm I walk in the kitchen and start pulling stuff out til I think I might could concoct something edible. This is my life. OH- and follow this method to cook Risotto just about any way you want it, and you can't go wrong. The secret is adding liquid at intervals, and stirring while it absorbs.