Roasted Eggplant and Pepper Tapanade
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 large red peppers, cut in half, with seeds and stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbls. fresh basil
- 1 Tbls. fresh oregano
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbls. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place eggplant and peppers on a grill or under the broiler.
- Cook until slightly charred, turning once.
- Remove from heat, peel skin from peppers, and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse garlic and herbs until finely chopped.
- Add peppers and eggplant, season with salt and pepper, and pulse to chop.
- Add oil and blend until just combined.
- For bruschetta: Place slices of Italian bread in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with Reynold's parchment paper.
- Brush litghly with olive oil on each side.
- Place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes on each side until just browned.
- Top each slice with tapanade.
My aunt made this as a dip originally, but it had a little too much oil to be very healthy, and I felt it could be a much more versatile recipe. With a bit of experimenting, it has now been used as a pizza or bruschetta topping, a pasta sauce, a soup base, and a stuffing for roasted meats.