Rum glazed Pineapple with Calypso Salad
- Calypso Crab Salad:
- 1/2 tsp. dried Thyme or 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. sour orange* juice (1 whole fruit)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. (more or less to taste) Jamaican Scotch Bonnet or Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 c. (about 3 oz.) finely diced red pepper
- 2 tbsp. finely diced red onion
- 1/ 2 c. diced tomato
- 1 - 16 oz. container crab meat
- Rum Glazed Pineapple:
- 2 each Fresh Pineapple, peeled and sliced into slices (about ½” thick each- 16 total)
- 2 Tbsp. Molasses
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ c. dark rum, such as Myer’s
- 1 c. orange juice
- In 1 qt. bowl whisk all salad ingredients together except red pepper, red onion, tomato and crabmeat.
- Gently fold in remaining ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
- In separate bowl, whisk molasses, allspice, rum and orange juice together. Dip pineapple slices in rum mixture or marinate in mixture for up to 1 hour, then grill or broil until edges are caramelized golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Place finished slices back in marinade and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, plate 2 grilled pineapple slices with some marinade on each plate and top with ¼ of the Calypso Crab Salad.
- *a sour orange is also known as a bitter orange or Seville orange. It is, actually more sour, like a lemon, than sweet. If not available, substitute ½ orange and ½ lemon juice.