Saganaki (fried Cheese) Greek Style
- 1 lb krinos kefalograviera cheese or kasseri cheese or graviera cheese
- flour (for dredging)
- ½ cup olive oil (or less)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Cut the cheese into strips 2 " wide and 1/2" thick.
- Place strips one by one under the cold water tap and coat lightly with flour, set aside until you have dredged all the strips.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet and pan fry the cheese, turn once until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove, dab with paper towels and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
This is wonderful to serve as an appetizer, serve lots of lemon wedges and I like crisp Pita Bread Pieces. If you cannot get the Greek cheese you may in a pinch use Italian Provolone - I had to use this because I didn't plan far enough ahead to get the good Greek Cheese.The recipe is simple and very good. Nutrition Facts 4 Servings Amount Per Serving Calories 1,043.4 Total Fat 89.8 g Saturated Fat 29.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat 6.6 g Monounsaturated Fat 49.7 g Cholesterol 131.7 mg Sodium 910.2 mg Potassium 184.4 mg Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g Dietary Fiber 3.4 g Sugars 1.8 g Protein 32.9 g