Salt Water Taffy
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon oil of peppermint (or other flavoring)
- 7 drops of food coloring (optional coloring to match flavoring)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Butter the sides of a 2-quart saucepan and add sugar, corn syrup, 1-cup water and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking to 275 degrees, without stirring. The mixture should boil gently.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine. Add flavoring and food coloring. Pour into a buttered cake pan and cool about 30 minutes, until you can handle it easily. Butter hands and pull candy until it becomes difficult to pull.
- Cut into four pieces and pull each piece into a long strand about 1/2 inch thick. With buttered scissors, snip bite-sized pieces and wrap with candy wrapping. Recipe makes about 1 1/2 pounds of candy.