Salted Caramel Brownies
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 11/2 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 oz caramel candies, unwrapped
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Arrange the walnuts on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown and aromatic. Coarsely chop the nuts.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving several inches hanging over the short ends of the pan.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the foil with butter or cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave, stirring between 30-second cooking intervals. Stir until smooth.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla, mixing the batter until thick and glossy, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Stir the caramels and cream in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in half the walnuts.
- Immediately spread the caramel mixture over the brownies and using the tip of a knife held vertically, swirl the caramel and chocolate together.
- Bake for ~40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Cool the brownies completely in the pan (for quicker cooling, set the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes).
- Grab the foil edges and lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut them into squares. If individually wrapped in plastic wrap, the brownies will keep for 1 week at room temperature or for 1 month in the freezer.