Sausage Biscuit & Gravy Hashbrown Bake
- 1 (16 ounce) roll breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen hashbrowns
- 1 bunch green onions, save a little for garnish
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups of your homemade sausage gravy or 1 package of dry gravy mix
- 1 can (8 biscuits) Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Butter Tastin' biscuits (next time I will use Grands Jr)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 350°
- In a skillet, add vegetable oil and get hot. Add hashbrowns and most of the green onions, saving a little for garnish if desired. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You just want to brown them somewhat. When finished put them into a seperate bowl. Season with salt & pepper.
- In the same skillet, add sausage, breaking up in small pieces and brown until done, 145° Remove sausage from skillet with a slotted spoon, onto a paper towel, saving the sausage grease and bits in the skillet for your gravy.
- Prepare the gravy. Make your own homemade or follow the directions on packet gravy. Here is my homemade gravy recipe and I doubled this for this recipe:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk or more if gravy is to thick
- salt & cracked black pepper to taste
- Add flour to skillet with sausage drippings and whisk, making a roux. Add the milk, salt, pepper and heat on medium-high whisking constantly 3 minutes or until desired consistency. If it is to thick, add a little more milk.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish and add ½ of the potato mixture. Place biscuits on top and add the rest of the potatoes, sausage and gravy. Top with cheese.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Let the casserole rest 10 minutes before serving. It is really hot in the middle.
- Garnish with green onion.
Janie did a review of this recipe on TOH and I knew I had to make it! I also knew I would have to modify the recipe somewhat due to my DH having a hissy fit if I put peppers and chiles in a breakfast casserole! He likes those 2 things in some recipes but not breakfast! I decided to ask him first what he thought about me putting them into the recipe and kindly said, "Please Don't" Ok, I modified the recipe so he would enjoy it! What a hearty breakfast or anytime meal! So filling and delicious! While we were eating, DH said this would be good served with gravy on the side as well as in the recipe! It got me thinking that the Grands jumbo biscuits really soaked up the gravy while baking so I think next time I will use Grands Jr. biscuits! They are a bit smaller and I think they wouldn't soak up as much gravy!