Savory Breakfast Scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes (I freeze my butter for 15 minutes for "chilled" butter)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- heavy cream, optional*
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp water
- *Heavy cream can be substituted for half of the buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 400. Grab your peppermill and start grinding - use a full tablespoon for a wonderfully peppery background or reduce by 1 tsp for less pepper flavor.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl on low speed. With mixer running, gradually add cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour - butter bits about the size of small peas.
- Add grated cheese and mix just until blended. (This can also be done by hand: In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Gradually cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese.)
- Add green onions, bacon and 3/4 cup of the buttermilk to flour and cheese mixture. Mix by hand just until all ingredients are incorporated. If dough is too dry to hold together, use remaining buttermilk, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball.
- Stir as lightly and as little as possible to ensure a lighter-textured scone. Remove dough from bowl and place it on a lightly floured flat surface. Pat dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling pin, flatten dough into a circle about 8 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8 to 10 equal wedges, depending on size scone you prefer.
- Whisk egg and water in a small mixing bowl to combine. Brush each wedge with egg wash. Place scones on a Silpat-lined baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle. Serve warm.