Savory Mashed Root Vegetables
- 3 pounds assorted root vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips, turnips, and rutabaga, coarsely
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 handful fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 handful fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Place all the vegetables and garlic in a large pot and fill with cool water to cover; season with a teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil over medium heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine the heavy cream, butter, and herbs in a pot and heat over low flame to melt the butter and infuse the herb flavor into the cream - do not allow to boil. Shut off the heat, cover, and let steep until needed. When ready to use, remove the herb stems and the bay leaves.
- Drain vegetables and put them into a large mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Stir in the warm cream mixture and mix until the liquid is absorbed and the vegetables are smooth; season with salt and pepper. Put the mashed root vegetables in a serving bowl, garnish with chopped chives and drizzle with a healthy dose of olive oil.