Scrumtrulescent Blueberry by Katie Maher-Lipinski
- 1 double pie crust for a 9 inch pie pan (one for the bottom crust and one cut into strips for a lattice top)
- 3.5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of ginger
- pinch fine sea salt (table salt works fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350
- Toss the blueberries with the flour to coat. Add sugar, cornstarch, cardamon, cinnamon, ginger, salt, zest and juice, and mix well.
- Place the filling into your prepared 9 inch pie pan (with bottom crust-there should be about 1 inch of dough overhang on the bottom crust-trim any extra). Sprinkle pieces of butter on top of the filling.
- Cut your second piece of dough into 1/2 inch wide strips. Starting from the center out, weave the strips in a criss cross pattern over the filling, leaving a 1/4 inch space between each strip. Trim any overhanging strips so they are even with the bottom crust edge, then roll the bottom crust over the top and crimp. Brush the top and crust with the heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on a parchment covered baking sheet for one hour, or until the filling in the center is bubbly. Allow to cool 2-3 hours before cutting to let the filling set.