Smothered Cajun Hash Browns
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 5 to 6 dashes Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 cup freshly chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until it begins to smoke. Cook potato in small batches until golden. Remove from oil and drain on absorbent paper. Remove oil from pan. Add onion, jalapenos, Tabasco, cayenne, peppers, water and salt. Mix well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potato is tender. If there is liquid remaining, uncover pan, raise heat and cook until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly, being careful not to break up potato.
- Stir in green onions and parsley, cover, remove from heat and allow to stand 5 minutes.