Snow Ghost Chocolate Pudding
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes maybe
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 c cocoa
- 1 and 1/4 c sugar
- 1/3 c cornstarch (measure this carefully)
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 c milk (I use 1 and 1/2 c milk and 1 and 1/2 c half and half!)
- 3 T butter
- 1 and 1/2 t vanilla
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate (optional)
- Combine cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Blend in milk and stir til mostly smooth. Don't worry if it seems that the cocoa just sits on top. It will mix in with added heat. Cook and stir constantly over medium heat until filling thickens and begins to boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and unsweetened chocolate (if using). Pour into a baked and cooled pie shell if you want pie or into small dishes for pudding. We eat it warm but if you want it chilled press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate.
This recipe was clipped from a magazine when I was a teenager. The picture featured a pie decorated with whipped cream in the shape of a ghost. It makes terrific chocolate pudding as well and is easy as it does not include an egg. I have added 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate to boost the chocolate flavor. The pudding is great without it but I LOVE the extra chocolate flavor.