Soft Cutout Sugar Cookies
- Cooking Time: 6 to 7
- Servings: 48 to 60
- 2 3/4 cups ap flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in buttermilk, egg and extracts.
- With the mixer on low speed or by hand, add in the flour mixture, mixing until no flour remains.
- Divide dough into two pieces.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll out to 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured surface and use a floured cookie cutter to make desired shapes.
- Transfer cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Reroll remaing dough, chilling for a few minutes if it becomes too warm to handle easily. Repeat with second piece of dough.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes at 375F, until the edges are slightly firm to the touch but cookies are not browned (The bottom of the cookies will be light brown).
- Cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- Makes 4-5 dozen, depending on cookie cutter size.