- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, or vegetable oil or shortening
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place bacon fat (or fat of choice) into a 9" cast iron skillet (usually square, but round works, too).
- Put pan into oven to heat.
- Blend dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients and add to dry.
- Mix until just combined -- a few lumps are okay.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour in batter. It should sizzle.
- Bake until golden brown (approximately 15-20 minutes).