- 2 (14 oz) cans tomatoes, chpd
- 1 small onion, chpd
- minced garlic, to taste
- 1 stem or more, fresh basil, chpd (just the leaves)
- 8 stems or more, fresh cilantro, chpd (just the leaves)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper (may want to use less)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Chop the basil and cilantro. Add all of the above ingredients (except the basil and cilantro)to the skillet and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove cover for the last 10-15 minutes to thicken, if desired.
- Add the basil and cilantro during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve over hot, cooked cheese tortellini or pasta.
- Using a pizza cutter to cut up the basil and cilantro works very well.