Spaetzle Noodles Bergkase
- Cooking Time: 7
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup Bergkase cheese, grated - or other hard German cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the eggs and milk, mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper; combine to form a sticky dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Form the Spaetzle by using a special Spaetzle maker or use a rubber spatula to push the batter through the holes of a large-holed colander.
- Cook the Spaetzle in boiling water for approximately 5 minutes, or until the noodles rise to the surface.
- Drain well.
- Heat a heavy bottom sauté pan over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the onions.
- Cook the onions until lightly browned.
- Add the drained Spaetzle and sauté about 2 minutes.
- Add the grated Bergkase cheese, toss well to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.