Spaghettini With White Clam Sauce
- 5 small cans minced or chopped clams, drained, reserving liquid
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh butter
- 2 oz. (about 1/2 cup) salt pork (do not use fatback), diced into small pieces
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, to taste, mashed/minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 2 tsp. flour
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 lb. spaghettini (thin pasta), cooked
- Parmesan cheese
- Open the cans of clams and drain, saving the clam juices.
- Combine the olive oil, butter and salt pork in a saucepan and heat until butter is melted.
- Chop garlic and parsley together and add to the saucepan.
- Cook slowly for 2 minutes.
- Do not burn or brown.
- Add the chopped clams, without the juices, and cook for several minutes.
- Add flour, red and black pepper, and stir well.
- Do not add salt as the clams are salty.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the clam juice, but be careful not to make the sauce too liquid.
- Bring just to a boil and mix.
- The clam sauce is ready to serve over hot cooked spaghetti.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!