Spiced Applesauce in your slow cooker
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice per 5 pounds of apples
- 1) Wash your apples - even if you bought organic - to get all the dirt and dust off.
- 2) Peel, core and slice your apples.
- 4) Add Water. Add your lemon juice and some water to the crock pot. You don't need to cover the apples. Just make sure there is about 2 inches of water at the bottom.
- 5) Cover and Cook. Place the cover on your slow cooker and turn it on. If you set it on high, the apples will be ready in about 4 hours. If you're going to be away, set it on low and leave it to cook for 8-10 hours. You'll know your apples are ready when they are really soft.
- 7) Cook Down if Necessary. Evaluate how watery the applesauce is. If it's a bit too runny for your preferences, remove the lid and cook on high until it's the way you like it. Already like the texture? Move on to step 8.
- 8) Spice it up! If you're making spiced applesauce, now is the time to add your chosen seasonings. I usually add about 1.5 Tablespoons of cinnamon and 1.5 teaspoons of nutmeg for a full crockpot. Add what you like and keep tasting it until it's just right. If your applesauce isn't sweet enough for you, you can sugar at this point as well. Allow it to cook for about 5-10 more minutes to allow the spices and sugar to fully permeate the sauce.
- That's it! Keep your applesauce hot if you're going to can it. Otherwise, chill and serve.
- If you can your applesauce, pack hot sauce into clean hot jars (quarts and pints) and process for 20 minutes in a boiling water canner or for 8 minutes at 5 pounds of pressure in a steam pressure canner.