Spiced Bacon Twists
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
- pinch cayenne
- 1 pound bacon
- Arrange oven racks in middle and bottom positions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make clean-up easy, line bottom of a broiler pan with foil.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper on shallow tray or counter.
- Place brown sugar, mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne on waxed paper and rub together with your fingers until mixture is evenly blended.
- Dip bacon strips into sugar mixture, coating evenly.
- Twist each bacon strip several times.
- Arrange about half the slices in a single layer on rack of broiler pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bacon is almost crisp and sugar is bubbly.
- Carefully place hot bacon strips on a piece of clean aluminum foil to cool slightly before serving.
- Repeat with remaining bacon slices and sugar mixture.
- These may be served warm or a room temperature.
- Note: You also can line a 10- by 15-inch jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and position a large cake-cooling rack over the pan. (Make sure that the rack nests securely in the pan.) Arrange remaining half of prepared bacon on the cooling rack. Bake both pans of bacon at once, but alternate oven positions midway through cooking.