Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained & rinsed (my addition)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Tortilla strips, crunchy
- Cook chicken until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute until tender. Add chilies, beans, chicken broth, lemon pepper, cumin, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Whisk water and flour together. Add to soup. Stir to thicken. Stir in chicken. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream.
- For “crunchies” on top, cut corn tortillas into strips. Spray with oil. Bake in oven until crisp.
- Sprinkle cheese in bowls. Ladle soup over cheese and top with crispy tortilla strips.
Kellie found this recipe in her local newspaper! Max & Erma's is a restaurant in the Ohio area and may be in other area's as well and this recipes is a clone of their spicy chicken tortilla soup! I found that it didn't pack as much heat as Max & Erma's but it was delicious! I think just adding some small diced jalapeno's would do the trick for more heat! I added a few more dashes of hot sauce and it helped spice it up! I also added some black beans that I wanted to use up! For the tortilla strips I bought some Tostitos Dipping Strips and they were perfect! Don't leave them out of the recipe because they take this soup to perfection! The more the merrier! After I took the picture, I loaded my bowl up with them! I also topped it with a dollop of sour cream and a little cheese for the picture! The cheese in the bottom of the bowl is wonderful!