- 1 1/4 lbs medium shrimp (reserve shells)
- 3/4 lb smoked sausage, cut into bite sized half circles
- 1 C onion, diced
- 1 C celery, diced
- 1 C bell pepper, diced
- 1 C tomatoes, diced (I used canned)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 C chicken stock
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 - 2 TBLS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBLS cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 C long grain white rice
- 1 TBLS butter
- Tabasco, a few good shakes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Shell and devein shrimp.
- Combine shrimp shells with chicken stock in a sauce pan and simmer until shells turn pink.
- Strain out shells and reserve stock. (I put the shells in 64 oz of chicken stock, then had extra shricken stock for other recipes)
- In a cast iron dutch, melt butter and brown smoked sausage.
- Add half of the onion, celery and peppers and cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes & tomato paste.
- Cook for a minute or two.
- Add rice and cook for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of shricken stock, remaining onion, celery, and peppers, garlic, cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
- Stir well and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add raw shrimp (and if needed a little more shricken stock) and bake for 10 more minutes.