Squash Soup with Toasted Corn
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb 8 oz winter squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into 1-inch dice
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from 5-6 ears of corn
- Salt and ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I used 2%)
- melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan, then add the onion and cook slowly (on low heat) for approx. 8 min.
- then add the squash and 2 cups of corn.
- stir and season with salt and pepper. cover and let vegetables cook for approx 10 minutes.
- Now, pour in stock and milk and bring to a simmer. cover partially and cook for approx. 20 minutes, keep it from boiling over.
- Next, preheat the boiler.
- Melt the remaining butter and mix in the remaining corn kernels and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. season with more salt and pepper and broil about 3 inches from the heat for about 8 minutes, removing them to stir and turn over about 1/2 way through.
- Let soup cool, then puree in batches in a food processor. reheat soup if desired and garnish with the toasted corn. This soup is even better as leftovers!