Steak With Wild Mushroom Sauce
- 4 medium sized New York Strip Steaks
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 2 oz. Butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, (portabello,morel,shitake, cremini...whatever is available)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 3 oz Demi-Glace Gold*
- 1 cup Hot Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- If you can't find Demi-Glace Gold, you can substitute 1 cup of homemade demi-glace or 2 cups of veal stock reduced by half and forget about the cup of hot water.
- *If you can't find Demi-Glace Gold, you can substitute 1 cup of homemade demi-glace or 2 cups of veal stock reduced by half and forget about the cup of hot water.
- PREP WORK:
- Get your grill really hot. While that is happening, finely chop your shallots and slice your mushrooms. Have your red wine and demi glace or substitute ready to go.
- Prepare Steaks: Season the steaks with a little salt and pepper. The meat should be cooked approximately 3-4 minutes per side depending how you like your steaks. When done, slice the steaks into 1/4 inch strips, fan out on a warm plate and add your wild mushroom sauce.
- Prepare Wild Mushroom Sauce: Demi-Glace Gold comes with easy instructions, but here's how I make it. Melt butter in a sauce pan and saute shallots until transparent, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add red wine, preferably something you may be sipping while you are preparing this meal. Don't use plain old cooking wine, big mistake.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender and wine has reduced to an essence. Add Demi-Glace Gold and stir (with a whisk if you have one) until dissolved. Add hot water and simmer until the sauce has thickened, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve over the steaks (and mashed potatoes).