Stone Lion Inn Scones
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup (approximately) dried fruit, chopped if necessary to the size of raisins
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Line a baking sheet with Reynold's parchment.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt & baking powder in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Add dried fruit to mixture and stir together with fork.
- Add cream and stir until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead
- 8-10 times. Pat dough into a circle about 10" in diameter.
- If desired, brush top of dough with melted butter and sprinkle with course sugar.
- Cut dough into 12 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until tops are just slightly golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- I almost always use two fruits in my scones. Here are some of my favorite combinations:
- cranberries & apricots
- pears & currants
- chocolate chips & dried cherries
- pineapple & unsweetened coconut, + 1 TBSP confectioners sugar mixed with coconut
- crystallized ginger (chopped very fine) and either peaches or pineapple