Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls
- Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus rising
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature, slightly beaten
- 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups flour (I use bread flour, but you can use all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tequila or orange liqueur
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons reserved strawberry juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
- Heat the milk, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Let cool until temperature is about 110 degrees F (like bathwater warm).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk mixture with yeast, egg, and 2 cups of the flour and the salt; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. (Alternately, just use the dough hook on your mixer and let the mixer knead the dough for about five minutes).
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a clean damp towel. Allow dough to rise until double, about 1 hour. In the mean time, place the chopped berries in a colander or strainer over a bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of tequila or orange liqueur over the berries and set them aside while the dough is rising. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the strawberry juice for the glaze.
- Roll out the dough into a 12X9 inch rectangle (I like to do this on my Silpat). Spread the dough with two tablespoons of softened butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter and top with the chopped strawberries. Roll up the dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal sized pieces and place into a greased 9X13 inch pan. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven. Cool slightly before frosting.
- For glaze, beat the cream cheese and the butter in a medium bowl. Add the vanilla, strawberry juice, orange liqueur, and lime juice blending until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat to desired consistency. Garnish the frosted rolls with the grated lime peel.