- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- zest of an orange
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- juice of an orange
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Combine dry ingredients, zest, and butter in the bowl of a mixer until crumbly.
- Stir in buttermilk just until combined. Fold in strawberries.
- Pat dough out on a floured surface to about 1 1/4 inches thick then cut out 2-inch rounds and transfer to a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake scones 17-20 minutes at 415 F or until lightly browned.
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and juice of an orange in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until syrupy.
- Cool syrup slightly, drizzle over scones.
I was up quite early one morning so I pulled out some strawberries and hunted through recipes looking for something to bake. Not finding what I was after I had a go at creating something of my own and was quite pleased with the results in the end. These are soft and fragrant right from the oven and make for a lovely start to the day.