Strawberry Summer Cake
- Cooking Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 6 TB butter, at room temperature, plus more to grease pie plate
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar plus 2 TB for sprinkling the cake
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- take your beautiful strawberries Hull them (ie: remove the stems) and cut them in half, length wise
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together 1 cup of sugar and 6 TB of butter, until creamy and pale. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and continue beating until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together just until its smooth.
- Pour into your prepared pan. Place your strawberry halves on top of your batter, arranging as pretty as you can, cut side down.
- Sprinkle 2 TB of sugar over the strawberries.
- Bake for 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 325' and bake for an additional 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out batter free. Cool in the pan, on a rack.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired