- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 8-12
- Vodka Sauce (see recipe)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (preferably 80/20 ground chuck)
- 1/2 pound Italian-style pork sausage
- 2 extra-large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 (about) small balls fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1-inch in diameter each - see Note)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a jelly roll pan with non-stick foil.
- To make meatballs, lightly mix ground beef, sausage, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, sweet onion, oregano, salt, and pepper until combined. Do not overmix.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of meatball mix in your hand. Press a small mozzarella cheese ball into the center of the meat. Form the meat around the cheese until it is completely enclosed and round into a ball. Repeat until all meat is used.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until meatball juices show no pink color. Transfer cooked meatballs to the vodka sauce. Serve over hot cooked pasta and garnish with fresh oregano sprig, if desired.
- Note: The small fresh mozzarella cheese balls are carried in the deli section of most large markets and warehouse grocery stores. They come in a tub submerged in water. If you cannot find the small balls, use the larger mozzarella rounds cut into 1-inch squares. Freeze hard the squares so that when the meat balls are cooked the cheese will not ooze out.