Sugar-Free Chocolate Truffles
- 2 1/2 pkgs. Bakers Bitter Sweet/Unsweetened Chocolate (20 squares)
- 1 - 8 oz. pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup Splenda Sugar Substitute
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- (1 1/2 tsps. rum extract, optional)*
- (1 1/2 tsps. instant coffee, optional)*
- *Or can substitute 1 T of Kahlua for the rum extract and instant coffee
- Makes: 36 chocolate truffles
- Place 8 chocolate squares in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on High power for 20 seconds, at a time; stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted; set aside.
- *Combine instant coffee granules and rum extract in small bowl and stir until coffee is dissolved; set aside (or substitute 1T Kahlua for these 2 items)** again this part is optional**.
- Place softened cream cheese in bowl, and beat with mixer, until creamy. Gradually blend in Splenda.
- **Add dissolved coffee and rum extract to mixture---(optional).
- Then add the melted chocolate and vanilla, mix until thoroughly blended.
- Take truffle mixture in bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill for 15 - 20 minutes, until it becomes thick and firm.
- Shape chocolate truffle mixture into 1-inch balls (using melon baller simplifies this part) and place on a cookie sheet that is lined with either parchment paper or waxed paper.
- In the meantime, melt remaining 12 chocolate squares.
- Use fork (I've found tiny pronged pickle or appetitizer forks work the best) to dip truffles into remaining melted chocolate; return to baking sheet. Decorate with ground walnuts, candy sprinkles, or colored Splenda. Then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place each truffle in a small foil or tiny cupcake/candy paper liner. Keep truffles refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Number of Servings: 36