- CRUST ingredients:
- 4 Cups flour
- 2 sticks of Margarine (not high water)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 Cup ice water
- FILLING ingredients:
- 1 lb. Almond paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 Cup granulated, white sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- CRUST DIRECTIONS:
- Cut margarine and butter into flour until you have pea size pieces (like mixing a pie crust), add water slowly incorporating it into the crust until it makes a nice dough. Press into loaf pan for easy dividing--cover and chill over night.
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Press into loaf pan for easy dividing--cover and chill over night.
- Divide each loaf pan evenly into 8 pieces. Take a section of dough for the crust and shape like a hotdog bun. Then proceed to roll out the dough into a long narrow strip--5 in. X 10 in. (You might need to use a little flour to do this if the dough is sticky). Take a section of filling and roll out into a long snake that is almost as long as the dough,(leave about 1 1/2 in. of the crust free on each end to fold and seal.) To seal the crust, put water in a small bowl and then proceed to dab the water all around the edges of the crust. Fold the short ends in first over filling, then one long side over the other, completely covering the filling. Press gently to seal. Place seam side down onto baking sheet. Continue shaping other sections. Cut 4-5 slits in the top of each stick for venting. Brush with egg white wash. Bake at 425Ã‚Âº for 15-20 min. or until golden brown. (Note: unbaked sticks can be frozen and baked later, or baked sticks can be frozen for about 1 month before losing quality flavor.)
- Almond paste is available here all the time at local "Dutch" stores. Other stores carry it more around the holidays. Hopefully you will be able to find it, as there really is no substitute. It sounds harder than it is and DEFINITELY worth your effort!