Summer’s Final Frolic: Labor Day Italian Sausage Sandwich Recipe
- Servings: 4
- 4 Italian sausage buns
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large each red and green bell pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced from top to bottom
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 four-inch sweet Italian sausages
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced (optional)
- Warm Buns: Wrap buns in foil and heat in a 300ºF for 20 minutes.
- Sauté Onions/Peppers: Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers; sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, sugar, fennel seeds and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté until onions are deep brown and tender, about 15-20 minutes longer. You may need to add a little water if the bottom of the pan gets too brown.
- Cook Sausage: While the vegetables are cooking, using a ridged grill pan or large skillet, grill the sausage lengths over medium-high heat, turning them once, for 3 minutes a side for all four sides, or until they are cooked through.
- Assemble Sandwiches: Cut bun and open like a book. Halve sausage lengthwise. Arrange 2 sausage halves in each bun. Top sausages with caramelized onion and pepper mixture. Top with Fontina cheese slices and broil until melted and golden. Serve immediately or wrap in foil and head to the nearest picnic table.
Just when we start fearing the worst, that summer is finally over, we remember Labor Day! Though a symbol of the summer’s end, Labor Day is one last opportunity to get out and enjoy EVERYTHING. Take advantage of this extended weekend by going on a final vacation, relaxing with your family and friends, or spending time with the kids before all they can think about is school and homework- yeah right… Whatever it is you end up doing, it will probably involve a barbecue or a picnic. This faintly sweet Italian Sausage Sandwich recipe is perfect for outdoor grilling, or packing up and taking on a Labor Day picnic!