Super Simple Sweet & Sour Soup
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 4 c Chicken, Beef or Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1/4 c rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp crushed red chili paste (Sambal)
- assorted mushrooms, sliced thin
- sliced tofu
- brown sugar, to taste
- black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bring all liquid ingredients and chili paste to a simmer. Add in mushrooms and tofu, cook until mushrooms have softened.
- If you find that the soup is too sour, add in some brown sugar. I love the sweet and tangy taste, so I add about 1 tbsp.
- Season with a bit of black pepper. You don't need to add salt because you'll have that flavor from the soy sauce.
- Beat one egg and drizzle over the soup while its at a simmer. The egg will cook instantly.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and serve.
- Tip: Want to thicken it up? Make a slurry with cornstarch by combining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and two table spoons of broth. Mix it up and add it into the soup.
Go ahead, try and say that one ten times fast! It will be a lot harder to say than it is to make, I promise! I love getting Hot and Sour soup when I order Chinese food, although I always load it with Duck Sauce to give it some sweetness. I wanted to see how I could make it at home and when I started researching recipes, my mind started to get a little boggled. Dried mushrooms?? Oh yeah, because I have those just laying around! Well, you know me! I figured out how to make the yummy soup with the stuff you already have in house! Check it out.