- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6 cups
- Preparation Time: 60
- 4 cups short-grain white rice
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 2-inch-square piece kombu (dried kelp), wiped lightly with damp cloth
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the rice in a strainer and rinse under cold water. Repeat until water runs clear and drain well.
- Clean kelp by wiping it lightly with a damp cloth.
- Transfer rice to a heavy saucepan. Add the cold water, sake and kelp. Cover and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook for approximately 15 minutes and until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove rice from heat. Let stand covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove kelp from cooked rice. Transfer the rice to a large wooden bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Drizzle the vinegar mixture over the warm rice. Very gently toss the rice with a spatula in a cutting motion to avoid mashing the grains.
- Cover rice with damp towel and cool at room temperature.
- Do not refrigerate.