Sweet Irish Soda Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons toasted caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces and add to the flour mixture.
- Using your fingers, work the cold butter and shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg, the buttermilk, the currants and the caraway seeds and mix into the flour mixture until it is incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently until the dough forms a smooth ball. Place the dough into a lightly greased loaf pan. Score the top of the loaf with a very sharp knife. Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Place the loaf in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.