Sweet Italian Sausage Casserole
- Servings: 4
- 2 tbls. butter
- 2 tbls. olive oil
- 8 ozs. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup diced (1/2 inch) eggplant
- 1 cup diced (1/2 inch) zucchini
- 1 cup diced (1/2 inch) red or green bell pepper
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tbls parsley
- 2 tbls basil leaves
- Cayenne or black pepper to taste
- 2 oz., grated mozzarella cheese
- 1. Melt the butter with the oil in a nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Add the sausage meat and cook for 10 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- 2. To the same pot, add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Stirring occasionally, cook, until softened about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the reserved sausage, the tomatoes, parsley, basil and cayenne. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Spooon the mixture into an 8X9 inch, oven to table baking dish to fit and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 350 preheated oven until the cheese melts, about 15 to 20 minutes
Sweet Italian Sausage Casserole---My husband loved it! I got this from a lady named Paula on a Somersizing group I belonged to. Its a low carb website. Heres what she said I tried this once, and the family liked it. It was printed in the Sunday Parade Magazine sometime in September.