Sweet Potato Bake
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 90
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large)
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped figs or dates
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake sweet potatoes about 1 hour or until tender. Or, pierce sweet potatoes several times with fork and place on microwavable plate. Microwave on HIGH 16 to 18 minutes, rotating and turning potatoes over after 9 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes
- Cut hot sweet potatoes lengthwise into halves. Scrape hot pulp from skins into large bowl.
- Beat 1/4 cup butter and 2 Tablespoons sugar into sweet potatoes with electric mixer at medium speed until butter is melted. Add eggs, orange juice, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. Stir in figs or dates Pour mixture into 2-quart baking dish or gratin dish; smooth top.
- For topping, combine flour, oats, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in remaining 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle topping evenly over sweet potatoes.*
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are heated through. For crisper topping, broil 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- PREP TIME 1 1/2 Hours
- COOK TIME 30 Min
- SERVINGS 6 to 8