Sweet Potato Scones with Dried Cherries and Spiced Date Butter
- Cooking Time: 25-28 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, baked, cooled, peeled and mashed (a little over a cup)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potato, buttermilk, canola oil, vanilla and cinnamon. Sift or whisk together the white whole wheat flour and one cup of the all purpose flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix in the dried cherries and then add the sweet potato mixture. Stir together until well blended, adding enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for just a few seconds. Divide the dough in half and pat each half into a circle, about 6 inches in diameter. Place the circles of dough on a large baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper. Cut each circle into 8 wedges and separate slightly.
- Bake scones for 25-28 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm or room temperature with a dollop of spiced date butter.
- For the date butter, combine 1 (8 oz) package of dates with a cup of water in a small saucepan. Add 1 cinnamon stick and ¼ teaspoon ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until very soft, adding additional water if needed. Place the cooked dates in a food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate any leftovers.