Taro Pudding from Guam
- 2 medium taros
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- Peel taros and cut into pieces (use cloves when peeling).
- In a large saucepan boil taro in salted water until soft.
- Add coconut, coconut milk, salt, vanilla extract and beaten eggs and mix well.
- Put into greased baking pan at 350º, and bake as custard until firm
I was debating if I should place this recipe under Oceania or Miscellaneous, since Guam is an island I decided to put it under Oceania. Guam is fondly known as the island where America's Day Begins. In case you might wonder if we have ever visited Guam, and the answer is no. How did we obtain a Guamese cookbook? Kathie and I attended a convention in Las Vegas in 1973 where we met people from Guam who were so kind to send us a Guamese cookbook.