Tender and Tasty Pie Crust
- Servings: Makes double crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, bleached
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 sticks butter, chilled and cubed (8 ounces/1 cup/ 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening*
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 egg yolk, beaten slightly
- Combine dry ingredients in a chilled large stainless steel bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives and incorporate the fat thoroughly into the flour to resemble a consistency of coarse meal.
- Add shortening, sour cream and lemon juice, mix well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Grease and flour a 9-inch pie pan.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, divide mixture into 2 disks. Keep 1 disk in the refrigerator until ready for top crust.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface between waxed paper. Carefully transfer the bottom crust to the pie pan and trim the overhanging excess.
- Chill for 15 minutes to help set dough in the pan. Brush bottom with egg yolk to seal. Fill with your favorite fruit filling.
- Roll out remaining disk as you did for the bottom crust. Cover the pie with remaining dough. Seal and crimp the edge. Cut vents in the top crust.
- Bake in the bottom half of a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting.
- *Variation: Substitute vegetable oil for shortening for a pat in the pan crust.