Texas Sheet "Pie"
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cans pie filling, your choice
- 1. Cream sugar and butter in mixing bowl. Add eggs, salt and milk. Mix thoroughly.
- 2. Slowly add flour to mixture and blend slowly. Next add baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.
- 3. Measure 1-1/2 cups of pastry and set aside. Lightly grease a cookie sheet (10 x 15- inch) that has sides. Pat the remaining pastry all over and up the short sides.
- 3. Pour pie filling onto the pastry. With remaining pastry, roll out on floured surface and cut into shapes or strips. Arrange on top of pie. Make an egg wash using 1 egg that has been lightly whisked. Using a pastry brush, paint the egg on all pastry that is showing.
- 4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
I haven't made this dessert in years. It used to be my favorite go-to recipe. Why? Because it goes together quickly. It makes enough for a large gathering. And I especially love the cookie/cake like texture of the crust. The added bonus is you can use whatever filling is your favorite. Or do two different like I've done.