The Baking Beauties Gluten Free Dairy Free Cinnamon Bun Cake
- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 30
- Cake ingredients:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup soy milk or rice milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- swirl ingredients:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (*optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance)
- 2 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- icing ingredients:
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp soy milk or rice milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 / 350 degrees F
- Grease one 9×9-inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, measure out 1 cup brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, eggs, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and oil.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Mix until just blended.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly in the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan spread, brown sugar, 2 Tbsp rice flour, cinnamon, and pecans (if using). Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Spread evenly over the cake, and using a butter knife, gently swirl through the cake, creating the marble-effect. Do not over mix it though.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- When the cake has cooled, prepare the vanilla icing:
- In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 1-2 Tbsp milk. Start with one tablespoon and add more if necessary to get the consistency that you want.
- You can use a spoon and drizzle the icing over the cake, or place the icing into a small zipper-seal bag with a small corner cut off, and drizzle it over the cake that way. YUMMO!
I got this recipe from Jeanine Friesen from The Baking Beauties. This was Recipe #21 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event. This gluten free cinnamon cake is a perfect example of her wonderful baking skills. I love how dense this cake is. It is a heavier cake with a delightful brown sugar cinnamon ribbon throughout. I enjoyed it (more than once) minus the vanilla icing drizzle and it was still AMAZING. For more information about this recipe check out Jeanine's original blog post. Learn more about Jeanine Friesen from The Baking Beauties.