The Best Chocolate Cake
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- Caramel Icing
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup icing sugar (confectioners')
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt chocolate, either on the stove or in the microwave and set aside.
- Beat butter in large mixer bowl then add brown sugar and eggs, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and melted chocolate, and beat to combine.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add to chocolate mixture gradually, alternating with sour cream, beating after each addition.
- Stir boiling water into the batter - the batter will be thin.
- Pour into two 9 inch round cake pans which have been greased and floured.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until cake centre springs back when touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Allow to cool completely before applying frosting.
- ***For the frosting***
- Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in icing sugar and continue to stir until the right consistency to spread.
- (There should probably be a small film wanting to form on top ideally, but no real crystalization.) Spread over cooled cake.