Toffee Brownies with Marscarpone Whipped Cream
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 10 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. fudge, room temperature
- 16 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz. marscarpone cheese
- 1/4 c. sugar
- cocoa powder for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1. On low heat, melt the butter and add the chocolate. Stir the chocolate with a rubber spatula until blended well. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract, flour, salt, and hot fudge (should be at room temperature not hot). Then add the chocolate mixture and beat with a hand held mixer until well blended. Bake in a 9X9 square pan for 25-30 minutes. Allow the brownies to cool.
- 3. While the brownies are cooling, on medium heat, pour in the sweetened condensed milk into a medium sauce pan. Sugar is very temperamental so you have to constantly stir until the milk turns thick. This take about 15-20 minutes. When the milk turns thick and turns a little darker than its original color, take a spoon and taste the milk. Be careful because it will be hot. If it taste like toffee, then remove from heat. If not, continue to stir and periodically taste.
- 4. Once the toffee is complete pour over the brownies and allow to cool completely.
- To make the topping
- 1. Take the marscarpone and beat with hand held mixer or standing mixer until it becomes loose and creamy. Add the sugar to the marscarpone and it will become fluffy. Slowly add the cream while periodically scrapping the sides of the bowl. Continue to slowly add the cream until all is added. Beat until firm peaks begin to form.
- 2. Spread the marscarpone whipped cream on top of the brownies and dust with cocoa powder (optional).