Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent.
- Add flour, and stir to blend. Gradually add chicken stock, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, breaking up any large pieces.
- Simmer 30 minutes. Add vanilla and basil and simmer until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.