- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes
- 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Skin tomatoes by dropping them in the water and letting them simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon.
- Peel tomatoes and cut and core.
- Cut each one into a 4-inch thick cross slice.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan.
- Place flour on a plate and generously flour tomatoes on both sides.
- When butter has sizzled up and then subsided, add tomatoes and quickly fry each side until brown.
- Add brown sugar, salt, onion, water and milk to tomatoes, reduce hear to low and cook another 20 minutes.
- Stir two or three times, and mash down the tomatoes with fork to break tomatoes up as smoothly as possible.
- Add pepper just before serving.
- Serve over noodles or with roast chicken.